Introducing Glad Tidings Assembly of God!
We are a church in Wewahitchka, Florida dedicated to loving God and loving people.
HIS HEART – OUR MISSION: A JOURNEY OF LOVE, HOPE, AND RESTORATION!
To share the gospel of Jesus Christ with all people
To provide an atmosphere of worship that ministers to the entire family
To be involved in our local community
To support global missions
It is the heart of God that defines our mission. Jesus said, “For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.” That is the message we want to share with our community, and the entire world.
Glad Tidings began in 1942 under a brush-arbor on Jessie Gaskin’s land in Ida Griffin’s subdivision. It existed for a brief period as a non-denominational church. Later, a vision was given that a church auditorium was to be built. With Melissa Scott soliciting the support of the people in the community and Rufus Pitts and E.W. Whitfield overseeing the building of the church, a small building was begun a few feet away from the brush-arbor. This church was to bear the name of an Assembly of God Church, a full-gospel denomination. At that time, the property was secured by the church from the city of Wewahitchka. Rosko Hall and Wess Smith with the help of Charlie Paul, Rufus Pitts and E.W. Whitfield constructed the auditorium. Callie Griffin Pitts, Maggie Walker, and Bell Hendrix (charter members), were faithful to support the cause.
During the years that Rev. Claude McGill was pastor, the church acquired additional property and in 1975 he led the church in the construction of its current building. The Board members at that time were Jimmy Gortman, Harvey Kemp, W.G. Lankford, and John L. McQuaig. Trustees were Lewis Gay, Willy Griffin, and Burley Parker, Jr.